Together we have a solid legacy that provides broader experience, an even larger collection of recipes and the opportunity to continue the family’s activities as in a large family. If you want to read more about the history of our family business and how Alax, Bråse, Klockbojen and PK Konserver started and became famous herring companies, click on the respective names below.
PK Konserver was once called Pettersson & Karlsson
This family began its operation in 1922 when the inquisitors Charles Karlsson (who was called “Salteri-Idkarn’s Charles” because his father had previously sold herring on Lilla Tjörnekalv) and Artur Pettersson bought the fishing vessel Mode. Each spring they left along the Göta Channel to Mälaren where they sold herring preserves in Enköping, Strängnäs and Mariefred. They did a couple of trips every summer. Started land-based manufacturing in 1945, when also their sons Rune Karlsson and Karl-Erik Pettersson joined the company Pettersson & Karlsson. In 1971 it became a limited company and the name was shortened to PK Konserver AB. The old factory became Herring museum when the company built a new factory in 1986.
Bråse & Söner
Bråse & Söner started in 1886
Anders Bråse moved to Klädesholmen in 1857 and he is listed in the list of Saltery owners in 1886. Eventually, his son Hans joined the business and they acquired his first herring boat Vega in 1896. When turnover increased, Bråse then expanded with the boats Elvy and Sälen. Their sales areas were along the beaches of Vänern, Vättern and in Göta Älv. In the 1920s, they also started land-based activities that took place in two different factories, where the sons Anders and Karl Bråse also worked. Also the following generation Bråse, Sture, Lennart and Sune operated manufacturing in two different factories, which continued until one of them burned in 1986, when everything was moved into the new factory the following year.
Alax is named after the founder
The operation began in 1924 when Albert Axelsson and his brother Wilhelm completed the summer’s Shetland fishing from Dolly with sales of canned food during September-April. Their sales area was Ystad and Trelleborg. Wilhelm eventually quit and in 1939, the son, Rune Axelsson, joined the company, who received the name of the first two letters in the founder’s first and last name. Albert took a driver’s license already in 1934 and could drive the goods to the different households. In 1943 the production started at Klädesholmen and in 1980 a new factory was built.
Klockbojen stared with herring saltery
The Brothers Anders, Bernhard and Kristian Svensson were called “Svensarna”. They devoted themselves to herring and had a boat in the 1890s. Around 1915, Kristian bought a magazine on “Svarta skär”. There, his sons Karl, Artur and Axel Kristensson continued to run Klockbojen’s factory until the mid 50’s. At the beginning they also sold herring with the boat Svea, which marketed their goods at the north of Mälarstrand in Stockholm. After a couple of years of interruption, Artur and Karls son, Folke Kristensson, started operating again in 1959. Artur was later released and Folke continued with Klockbojen’s distribution car until Mats Kristensson took over.